Monday, November 2, 2009

Betty Everett – You’re No Good

There are dozens of versions of "You’re No Good".  I think Betty Everett sings it best with  Dee Dee Warwick a close second.  Though Warwick’s statement is guttural, Everett is defiant, anthemic. The foot stomps by The 5 Heartbeats The Dells give it that extra down home feel. 

I’m not sure if it’s rare, but my 45  was distributed by Eric Records with classic The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s in His Kiss) on one side and "You’re No Good" on the B side. I purchased this record for 19 cents. I know I keep referring to my landmark purchase at Rockaway but I can’t help but marvel at the jewels lounging in record shops.

Straight From Vinyl Betty Everett – You’re No Good



In my Google Images and the Politics of Remembering analysis -  When choosing an image of Betty Everett, it  as interesting to see two pictures that come up, which represent two ways she’s remembered.

A Hometown Gal




A Glamorous Woman 




Listen to Betty Everett and Dee Dee Warwick give you the yes-ma'am handclaps on "You're No Good."  I added Linda Rostadt's version for my blue-eyed-soul folks.


1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails