Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bookslut | The Problem with American Poetry

Well Josh Cook somewhat agrees with me that MFA programs are creating professors, not necessarily poets.

"I would ask poets to initially eschew MFA programs. Get a job, read, and write for a few years first. This is not to say MFA programs are valueless, but that it is important to find a vision before one hones the craft of communicating it.

I'm not outright condemning MFA programs, either. There are many good poets (including some of my favorites) coming out of them (though coincidence does not imply causation), but I don't believe the institutions of today are capable of producing the visionaries of tomorrow."
Bookslut | The Problem with American Poetry via a retweet by Tara Betts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails