Thursday, June 3, 2010

Aiyana

 

How did your seven-year-old body
creep its way
into our collective consciousness?

Girls die everyday.

Black girls

But you force us to face
the questions we all fear.

What is the value of a
Black girl body?

Who prizes it? her?

How many Black bodies
will crumble
in front of badges?

How many more blues songs
for our girl-bodies?

Who, will protect us?

 

This begins my suite of poems around Aiyana Jones (I have 5 written with one more hatching in my heart). Ev (who posting a suite or series about her father) and I had a lil discussion about self-sabotage (see previous post), so I will try not to hold out from sharing my poems because they are unedited.  Feel free to workshop this one (and all other poems on the blog) fellow poets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails